Thursday, November 17, 2011

mean cuisine


Recently I had the opportunity to experience Ramen noodles in an entirely new light.

I had eaten Ramen noodles before, when I was a kid, but I never understood why they were considered as "college cuisine." I knew they were easy to make and, based off of many of the college students I know, I figured that they were "idiot proof."

Recently, while shopping for food, I realized the true benefit that Ramen noodles have.

They cost, on average, 26 cents. Twenty... Six... Cents... 

I didn't know that you could buy anything for 26 cents. Much less a full meal. Two, if you're lucky. Its amazing to me how quickly a soggy mass of rubber-esque pasta can turn into a delicious meal when it costs less than a pack of gum.

Most college students don't eat very well. Once forced to fend for themselves, students tend to make poor choices when it comes to food. Sometimes, this is necessary. E.g., Ramen noodles. I bought six "full" meals for less than a dollar. (I use the term "full meal" very loosely) A shocking bit of information: college students typically don't have a lot of free money. And the sad truth is that one of the first things they cut back on is their diet. Or they substitute healthy food for a cheaper alternative.  For instance, three days a week for about a month straight, I had a Snickers candy bar for lunch. Was I thinking about eating healthy? no. Was I looking for a quick sugar rush? maybe. But mostly, I was concerned about having lunch for only one dollar. Besides lets face it, Snickers satisfies. (its true, it even says so on the wrapper.)

Another reason that affects how college students eat is the quality of the food that they choose. When you have class all day and homework all evening plus a job or a social life, it becomes easy to make the fast decision of a burger and fries over something actually healthy. 

Another interesting connection with college age people is that their physical tastes are altered slightly. Perhaps it's a result of a price-induced acquired taste, like Ramen noodles. Perhaps it comes from the propensity of college students to try new things. Maybe it's your brain shutting down from lack of proper nutrition and stress which leaves you incapable of experiencing taste. Either way, as I put down my bowl of tuna fish and hot sauce, I am forced to realize that college affects the way you eat. Either you eat too much for your freshman 15 or you're too poor to afford food and nearly starve to death. Either way, I can't wait till graduation...



1 comment:

  1. Ha! I did exactly the same and it was 'about' 20 years ago :)

    ReplyDelete