Thursday, October 6, 2011

First things first: what am I doing?

The main question that any college student inevitably asks, especially within the first few days of class, is "What on earth am I doing here?"

If one were to ask their fellow student, the most common answer would be "Heck if I know."

Truth be told, only about 25% of the college population enters the school knowing what they want to do. Of that percentile, less than half will actually obtain a degree in their original course of study. (these figures are estimates)(but true)


So, why am *I* in college? Heck if I know.


Why am I blogging about it? That's another story.


The obvious reason: between classes, homework, facebook, twitter, work, a social life, and sports, apparently I just didn't have enough distractions. No, seriously. It's 11:00 o'clock at night and I have a lot of homework. But I'm doing this instead. Go figure.


Aside from that, I am conducting an informal case study on the inner workings of the dreaded institution known as "college." Basically to keep from going insane. But also, I find the numerous associations and connotations of college, good or bad, to be intriguing. Therefore think of this as a field journal, if you will. For those of you who don't know what that is, go to college.


College isn't the place to go for ideas. ~Helen Keller~
 




No comments:

Post a Comment